8/2/2020 - We are still in the park for worship at 10 am.
We will be having worship service at Athena City Park through August 30 at 10 am.
Please bring your own chair, water, sunglasses and hat. We will observe social distancing and encourage you to wear a face mask. Hand sanitizer, disinfectant wipes, and a few face masks and chairs will be available.
INDOOR WORSHIP TEMPORARILY UNAVAILABLE
If you plan to attend (worship service when in the building):
- Face masks are required, we will have extras available if you don’t have your own
- Please do your best to maintain social distancing
- Worship center seating has been marked to indicate number of people and location where individuals, couples and families/households (up to 4 people) may sit in accordance with social distancing rules.
- If you or someone you have been around is ill, please stay home.
- The sermon will continue to be posted on ACC’s website. Main floor, balcony and elevator will be open for use, but please avoid going downstairs until further notice.
To help you stay connected with your church family, we offer the following opportunities:
- The Church Office will be closed until further notice. The office will still be staffed for regular hours Monday – Thursday, 8 am to noon.
- Indoor worship is cancelled until further notice.
- The FOOD PANTRY is back to call in and curbside delivery. Monday’s ONLY 9 am 11:45 am.
- Sealed Communion cups with wafers can be delivered to the homes of ACC family members that are unable to attend church service in the park. If you are part of the ACC family and would like to receive some, please call the church office.
- The weekly 9 am MONDAY MORNING PRAYER GROUP is meeting in the church basement. Contact Pastor Delbert or Judy Weidert for instructions on how to participate.
What To Expect
You’ll find a church family that is down-to-earth. There is no need to wear a suit and tie to church here, but you are welcome to do so if you wish. Come just come as you are…we’ll love you just the same.
During the 9:30 am hour:
The Worship Service is filled with music, communion (celebrated weekly), prayer and a Bible-based message.
Nursery is available for children birth to 3 years on the main floor (same level as the worship center) next to the bathrooms.
Children ages 3 years to 5th grade are released to Children’s Church just before the sermon, about 10 am (except on 1st Sundays).
During the 11:00 am hour:
Sunday School Classes for All Ages:
Children - Children from birth through age 3 are in the Nursery (main floor). Children 3 years old through 12th grades go to the education building ("the Ark") just down the sidewalk toward 4th street. If you hear about classes in "the Ark," it means the education building.
Adults meet in two classrooms in the basement. We call them Adult Bible Fellowships, or ABFs. You are welcome to attend either one. Coffee, tea and water are provided during class time.
What will happen during the service?
If you haven't attended ACC before, the basics of what you will experience are shown below.
Each week we sing songs thanking God for His love, promises and strength as He guides us through daily life. Our music team's goal is to lead each person present into a place of humble worship.
You may see people raising their hands during the singing. Don’t worry, this is not required of you. Some people choose to lift their hands as a posture of gratitude and humility before God.
Each week we remember Jesus’ sacrifice when He paved the way to restore our relationship with God. People who have chosen to follow Jesus are welcome to participate. Stemming from the Jewish Passover festival, communion was instituted by Jesus for us to remember His body that was sacrificed to pay for our sins (represented by the small cracker) and His blood (represented by the grape juice) that initiates a new covenant that allows all who accept His offer of salvation to begin a new life of unhindered relationship with our Creator.
We offer communion every Sunday because the Bible account reveals that the early church did so whenever they gathered for worship.
Baptism is a simple illustration of being washed. It is a picture of Christ’s death and resurrection and of new birth into a reconciled relationship with God. For details on the biblical foundation of baptism, feel free to download our Doctrinal Statement. If you are interested in discussing baptism or scheduling one, please contact Pastor Delbert Durfee at .
Financial giving is an act of trusting in God to supply our needs. The apostle Paul, instructed Timothy regarding the churches Timothy was leading, “Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share” (I Tim. 6:18). We know that nothing we have is our own, so we choose to pool our resources and watch God do amazing things with our collective resources that we could not do individually. Visitors are not expected to share financially unless they desire to do so.
At the beginning of each service, visitors are asked to fill out a Connection Card and put it in the offering tray. This card goes to the Welcome Team and allows us to express care and friendship to our guests.
Sermons are given by several people at ACC. Our sermons are recorded and placed on our website. So if you missed a sermon or want to hear one again, click on the “sermons” button and click on the sermon title or date. The most recent sermons are listed. Later ones are in the archives.